Haitian Pork (Griot)

We have a ton of pork shoulder in our deep freezer, thanks to an incredible deal ($1.49/lb!!!) so I've been looking up different recipes and experimenting to see what I can come up with.  We can only eat pulled pork so many times, right?

I came across this recipe for Haitian Griot and just had to try it.  The recipe was super simple, used ingredients I already had on hand (staying true to my pantry challenge, whoot whoot!) and was incredibly delicious.  I'm guessing the acidity in the marinade played a major hand in breaking the meat down, so the dish was perfectly seasoned and nice and moist.

The only changes I made were the juices (I used bottled, I'm sure it would have been that much better with fresh though!) and I didn't have any scotch bonnet peppers on hand so I used an insanely hot pepper sauce that we have.  It did the trick.  I also added a few more onions and extra garlic, because we like them.

I have posted the recipe below with my changes, but please feel free to head over to www.nytimes.com for the original!





Haitian Griot
A couple dashes of very hot sauce
3 onions diced
1 sweet pepper, diced
1 T kosher salt
1 T ground black pepper
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 T concentrated orange juice
2 T lemon juice
2 T lime juice
1 T Worcestershire sauce
Pork shoulder (3-4lbs) cut in 2" chunks
2 T EVOO
Cooked rice for serving
                                   
Throw all ingredients except the EVOO in a dutch oven or heavy pot with lid and mix well.  Marinate in the fridge over night.  Remove from the fridge about 2 hours before ready to cook.  Preheat oven to 325.  On the stovetop, bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, and then transfer in to the oven for 90 minutes.  Remove from the oven, and remove the meat from the pot with a slotted spoon.  Cook the liquid over med-hi heat, simmering for about 15 minutes, or until it is reduced and thick.  Meanwhile, heat your broiler, and place the meat on a cookie sheet in one layer.  Toss with kosher salt & EVOO.  Broil for about 5 minutes, until crispy and brown but not dried out.  Serve with rice!
 
I also served mine with an amazing bean salad that I had thrown together the previous day, and I had zoodles (zucchini noodles) instead of rice since I'm doing the low(ish) carb thing.
 
So good!!!
 

Comments