Greek Lamb Chops With Kale

I had a major craving for lamb last night.  And kale was on sale at Loblaws (.97 cents for a huge bushel!!) so it seemed like the perfect fit for dinner.  Up until this evening, I hadn't found a way to prepare kale that I actually enjoyed.  I know that it's a nutritional powerhouse yadi yadi ya and I know we should be eating more of it, but there was something about the gritty consistency that I just couldn't handle.

Well clearly I was doing something wrong because tonight's dinner was fantastic.  I don't have an exact recipe for the lamb since I just eyeball the seasonings but I'll do my best to explain.  The kale is an adaptation of Bobby Flay's sauteed kale.  Enjoy!

Greek Lamb Chops with Kale
8 lamb chops
1/4 c EVOO
3 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 T chopped fresh parsley & thyme (or 2 tsp dried of each)
juice of 1/2 a lemon
salt & pepper
1 bunch of kale, stems removed & coarsely chopped
3 T EVOO
4 cloves garlic sliced
1 red onion chopped
1/2 c chicken stock (or veg)
2 T vinegar - the original recipe calls for red wine vinegar, but I used a spicy vinegar from the Dominican.  To replicate this, you can use red wine vinegar and a pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes.

 For the lamb, throw the chops in a resealable bag and add the next 6 ingredients.  Ensure the lamb is fully coated, and allow to marinate for 2 hours - overnight.  When ready to cook, remove from the fridge and bring to room temp.  Broil them for about 8 minutes in your oven (at 450).  For the kale, add EVOO to a pan over medium heat.  Add garlic & red onion and saute for a couple of minutes, until fragrant.  Add stock and then kale.  Toss to coat.  Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, then uncover and add vinegar, salt & pepper to taste.  Toss and continue to steam until kale is cooked, about another 2-3 minutes.

Serve your lamb alongside the kale and lick your lips when done, yum!




Comments