Shrimp And Chickpeas With Kale, Ginger & Cumin

Kale is an ingredient that is still foreign to me.  I have a hard time finding ways to incorporate it into meals, but it's so damn healthy for you that I know I have to try harder.  When I saw this recipe in a recent Longo's magazine, I figured I'd give it a try.

It was fantastic!  The mixture of shrimp, chickpeas, and kale married gorgeously and it was an overall hit with the family.  This will definitely be added to my dinner rotation!









Shrimp And Chickpeas With Kale, Ginger & Cumin
2 T EVOO
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
2 T ginger minced
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp each coriander and pepper
Pinch hot pepper flakes
1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
1 T grated lemon rind
¾ c white wine (I used chicken broth)
8 c chopped kale
1 lb peeled shrimp
2 T chopped coriander

In large skillet over medium, heat oil.  Cook next 3 ingredients for 3 minutes.  Stir in seasonings and cook 1 minute.  Stir in chickpeas and rind until well coated.  Pour in wine (or broth) and ½ c water.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and boil gently for 5 minutes.  Using potato masher, mash 1/3 of the chickpeas.  In a colander, rinse kale and shake off excess water.  Add to skillet and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes, until just wilted.  Stir shrimp in and cover and cook 2-3 minutes.  Sprinkle with chopped coriander.

Per serving (of 4):
337 calories
21g protein
10g fat
37g carbs
9g fiber


Comments