Whitefish Cakes, Rice & Bean Salad

I love crab cakes, but have never actually bought crab legs, cooked them, extracted the meat and then made them into cakes.  Maybe one day when the kids are on their own and I'm retired.  Wishful thinking.

Sometimes I buy the canned crab to make cakes...but when I saw this recipe I thought it was genius.  White fish is so versatile, so to use it in a cake, well I had to wonder why I hadn't though of it.

As mentioned in my previous post, I prepped the cakes 2 days before frying, so they were sitting in my fridge ready to go tonight.  The bean salad is my go-to recipe from my mom, and I know I have blogged it before, but I'll post the recipe again below.  As for the rice...I have a confession.  I didn't make it.  It's Uncle Ben's microwaveable wild rice.  Yes, rice is now microwaveable in a pouch.  So weird.  But I got it free thanks to my extreme couponing, so I figured why not try it?

Anyways, hope you enjoy - we did!









Whitefish Cakes With Lemon Chili Mayo – Canadian Living

1 rib celery chopped
2 green onions chopped
¼ c parsley leaves
450 g whitefish chopped
¾ c bread crumbs
1 egg
2 tsp Dijon
¼ tsp pepper
1 T oil
Sauce – 1/3 c light mayo
1 ½ tsp lemon juice
¼ tsp chili powder

In blender, pulse together first 3 ingredients until finely chopped.  Scrape into bowl.  Add fish to blender and pulse until fine but not pureed.  Add to bowl; mix in next 4 ingredients.  Form into eight ½” patties.  In skillet heat oil over medium.  Cook fish cakes, turning once, until firm and golden, 8-10 minutes.  Mix sauce ingredients together and serve with fish cakes.


Mom’s Cilantro Bean Salad


1 can black beans drained
1 can corn (or frozen, 1 ½ c)
1 c cherry/grape tomatoes
½ chopped onion
2 T fresh cilantro chopped
10 dashes of hot sauce
½ c light ranch dressing

Mix all together, season with salt & pepper, serve.
 

 


Comments