Garlic Ginger Chicken Wings & Fresh Broccoli Salad

I love chicken wings!  I'm so excited to be picking up my fresh box of them next week (courtesy of wagjag grocery) so I thought I'd clear out my last portion in the freezer to make room for the new - yay!

Wings aren't always the healthiest choice but you can make choices with your cooking that help a little - like no skin, and bake instead of fry.  I have to admit I usually fry them (and bread them in an amazing breading - see my "The Absolute Best Fried Chicken Wings" post) but this time I chose to bake them.  They were served with a broccoli salad that is always a favorite in my home.  Enjoy!


Garlic Ginger Chicken Wings
3 lbs chicken wings
1 tsp 5-spice powder
3 T soy sauce
3 T rice vinegar
2 T brown sugar
3 garlic chopped
4 tsp chopped ginger
4 tsp veg oil
pinch black pepper
1 small hot pepper chopped (I used a thai pepper, but you can use anything)
3 scallions chopped

Put chicken, 5-spice powder and soy sauce in a large ziploc bag - toss & kneed so that spices are evenly distributed.  Let marinate as long (or short) as you want - mine was overnight.  Arrange chicken on a foil lined baking sheet & bake at 425, turning once, until golden and crispy, 40-45 minutes.  In a large bowl stir together remaining ingredients.  Add wings and toss to coat.



Fresh Broccoli Salad
2 heads fresh broccoli
1 red onion (I used half)
1/2 lb bacon (I used President's Choice Extra Thick)
3/4 c raisins (I used golden)
1c mayo (I used 1/2c fat free, 1/2c regular)
1/2 c sugar (I used splenda)
2 T white wine vinegar (I used regular vinegar)

Cook bacon (I microwave mine on a paper towel-lined plate with more paper towel on top to get rid of as much grease as possible).  Cool & crumble or chop.  Cut broccoli into bite size pieces & onion into thin bite size slices/  Combine with bacon and raisins and mix well.  Mix liquids together until smooth & stir into salad.  Let chill and serve.

I have also added shredded sharp cheddar to this in the past (so good!) as well as honey roasted peanuts (also delicious)

Enjoy!

Comments