Maple Glazed Turkey Roast

This is by far one of my favorite recipes.  The flavors go so well together, I can eat the leftovers for days (although there is rarely any left!).  I served this with rice for the kids & BF, and mashed cauliflower for myself (which is my new favorite low carb dish.  Very simple - see below)





Maple Glazed Turkey Roast
1 (3lb) turkey breast roast
1/2 c pure maple syrup
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp paprika (I used hot)
1/2 tsp each salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme
pinch of cayenne

Preheat oven to 325.  Pat turkey dry with paper towels.  Mix together syrup and seasonings.  Brush all over.  Place in roasting pan & roast, basting occasionally, until golden brown, 1 and a half hours.  Wrap in foil and let stand before serving.

A couple of things with this recipe - I found the pot was drying out very quickly and the syrup was caramelizing, so every 15 minutes or so I added some water and mixed it with the rest of the sauce, than basted.  This did the trick.

Also, you can do this in your slow cooker, but add 1/2c water.

For the mashed cauliflower, here is what I do.  Every Sunday I chop up a large cauliflower, a couple of onions and some garlic.  I boil them all for 20 minutes, drain VERY well, then mash with whatever low fat dairy I have on hand as well as garlic powder and whatever else I feel like putting in at the time (cayenne, nutmeg, cinnamon, thyme, oregano, anything goes).  For dairy options, I have used fat free garlic & herb cream cheese, fat free sour cream, and fat free plain yogurt.  I use about 2 heaping tablespoons for one head of cauliflower.  This lasts me for the week, and I eat it instead of the carbs that the rest of my family is feasting on.  I even eat it with my sunny-side up eggs on Saturday mornings - it sops up the yolk wonderfully!  Delicious.

Comments