The World's BEST Short Ribs!!!

Aaah ribs. 

There is no experience quite like the one you get when eating ribs.  Back ribs or short ribs, beef or pork, so many possibilities and so much fun to eat.  It's that primal instinct of picking up food with your hands and tearing at the juicy meat like an animal that I love.  Ribs aren't a date night meal, unless you've been together a long time and don't care what mess you make on your face.  But they certainly are a treat.  Especially this recipe - which does not have to involve your hands, since they are so fall-off-the bone soft that there is no "tearing" necessary.  Chewing is optional here as well...so tender...mmm...

I was unable to get a picture of these, since they disappeared from the kitchen before I had time to grab the camera.  I tried finding a picture online to use, but there were none that did this meal justice.  My mouth waters thinking about it.  I will make them again VERY soon, and at that time I will fight off the hungry animals in my house long enough to take a picture and add it to this blog entry.  Until then, have trust in me and make this meal yourself.  Asap.

Update - picture added!



Honey Beer Braised Ribs
1/3c brown sugar
1 tsp pepper
3/4 tsp salt
pinch cayenne
6 lbs beef short ribs (but really you can use any ribs)
1/4 c honey
1 bottle of beer (or beef broth, but beer is better)
1/4 c red wine vinegar (supposed to use cider but red wine works too)
1/4 c bbq sauce
1 T cornstarch

Combine the first 4 ingredients and rub all over your ribs.  Place in a roasting pan and drizzle with honey.  Combine the beer and vinegar and pour all around the ribs (don't pour on top and disturb the seasoning).  Cover tightly and bake at 325 for an hour.  Reduce the heat to 250 and bake for 2 hours more.  Pull the ribs out of the oven and pour the juices off into a saucepan.  Skim all of the fat off (there will be a lot).  Place saucepan over medium heat, add bbq sauce, mix cornstarch and a little water in a small bowl and add to pan.  Simmer, while stirring, for about a minute or until sauce thickens.  Serve your ribs with sauce on top, or on the side - the ribs are amazing on their own without the sauce, so your choice.

Most people broil their ribs before serving.  I found with this recipe that there was no need.  They had already formed a delicious crust in the oven thanks to the sugar & honey, so broiling was completely unnecessary. 

I am reserving this meal for Sunday dinners because of how long the process is - but I will definitely make a lot more than needed next time - I could eat these for days, and I know my family agrees. 

Enjoy!

Comments