Baked Polenta With Sausage & Artichoke

When I first saw this recipe in my Everyday Food magazine, it was the picture that really caught my eye.  It looked so pretty, constructed carefully in the glass dish, like a piece of art.  It made me hungry, so I decided to try it out.  The other thing I really loved about this was that it was a complete meal.  Main and sides all in one - no need to make anything else with it.  That's always a blessing - eliminating a separate dish - especially when you get home from a kick-ass bootcamp class at 7:00pm and have half an hour to get a meal on the table!

Here's my disclaimer - my daughter didn't like the polenta (although when I broiled the leftovers the next day she suddenly loved it).  So it must have been the consistency.  You might want to broil this dish to add a little crispness at the end, maybe for 10 minutes or so.  Up to you; but either way, I hope you enjoy it.  Thanks Martha!   


Baked Polenta With Sausage & Artichoke
2 tsp EVOO
1/2 onion thinly sliced
1lb italian sausage, casings removed
2 garlic thinly sliced
3/4c artichoke hearts chopped
coarse salt & pepper
1 tube prepared polenta, cut in 1/4" rounds
1/3c chicken stock (I used a little more, maybe 1/2c)
1/4c chopped parsley (I left this out)

Preheat oven to 400.  In a large skillet heat oil over medium.  Add onion & cook 5 minutes.  Add sausage & cook until browned, 8 minutes.  Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.  Remove from heart and stir in artichokes.  Season with salt & pepper.  In a 2 quart baking dish layer polenta rounds & spoonfuls of sausage mix (like in the picture above - alternate them).  Pour stock over top and bake until bubbling and polenta is pale golden, 20-24 minutes.  Sprinkle with parsley (if using) and serve.

For those of you interested, the nutritional value is below, based on 4 servings

Per Serving -
330 cal
15g fat
21g pro
30g carbs
4g fibre

Comments