Chinese Spare Ribs & Crispy Tofu With 2 Sauces

Tonight I went for a part vegetarian part meat lovers sort of vibe.  I really wanted to try this tofu recipe, but the spare ribs in the freezer were calling my name, so I figured, why not do both?  This is by far the best marinade for spare ribs that I have ever come across.  It's my go-to sauce.  When I see spare ribs, my mouth waters for this combination of flavors.  Try it, you'll love it.

The tofu recipe was good, but make sure you don't keep leftovers because soggy tofu the next day isn't a good look.  Trust me,  it doesn't go down very well.  I could have done without the onion topping (sauce), because the soy-based sauce was great.  But try out the recipe for yourself and see what you think.





Chinese Spare Ribs
3 T hoison sauce
1 T honey
1 T soy sauce
1 T sake (I left this out - not many people have sake sitting around...at least, I don't)
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp grated ginger (as a tip - I keep my ginger in the freezer, it stays fresh and is very easy to grate/chop, etc)
1/4 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder (I left this out and used seasoning salt & chili flakes instead)
1 lb spare ribs

Mix everything together and marinate for 2 hours or overnight (I marinate in a large Ziploc bag - just throw all of the ingredients in, than the meat, seal & mix.)  Reserve some sauce (after removing the meat I pour a little water in the bag, seal, shake, and pour out whatever I get in a bowl.)  Put in the oven in at 300 for 2 hours.  Pour the rest of the sauce over top near the end and broil for 10 minutes.  That's what you're supposed to do, but I pour a little sauce on top about every half hour, and I skip the broiling, it isn't needed.  The sauce already sticks on to the meat and the outside gets nice and crisp while the inside is moist and delicious.  A very flavorful sauce, you'll love it.

Crispy Tofu With 2 Sauces
1 lb medium firm tofu (I always use extra firm)
1/2c oil
1/2c cornstarch
Green Onion Ginger Sauce:
3 green onions chopped (I didn't have any so I used 1/4 of a vidalia)
2 T grated ginger
1 tsp salt
1/4c oil
Spicy Soy Sauce:
2 T soy sauce
1 T water
1 tsp rice vinegar
1/4 tsp grated ginger
1/4 tsp sriracha
1/4 tsp honey

Cut tofu into 4 equal slices about 1" thick.  Place cut side down on thick paper towel to drain; let stand 20 minutes (I also put paper towel on top and pressed down a bit.)  Meanwhile in heatproof glass combine green onions, ginger & salt.  In small saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat just until ripples form on the surface; pour over onion mixture until sizzling, stir to combine.  Let cool 5 minutes.  Drain off 2 T of the oil and reserve for another use (saute sweet peppers in it or other veggies to serve on the side.)  Set sauce aside.  For the soy sauce, combine all ingredients and set aside.  In a 10" skillet heat oil over medium heat.  Coat tofu all over with cornstarch; fry, turning once, until golden and crispy, 8-10 minutes.  Serve with sauces (and veggies if you choose to.)

Hope you enjoy these as much as we did!



 

Comments