Chicken Kofta Curry & Lemony Braised Broccoli


We eat East Indian meals quite often.  I am a big fan of using spices – bland food doesn’t sit well with me, and I am always in awe of Indian cuisine and the way the spices are used so generously.  My mouth waters for curry, cumin, coriander…mmmm.  I am always excited about trying a new East Indian recipe, and this one was no exception.  Thank you Fresh Juice for such a wonderful meal!  I had never had a fully yogurt-based curry before.  Yes, I have added yogurt to curries, but this recipe used a cup of yogurt which was the base of the entire sauce. 

I cannot say enough about this meal.  It was fabulous.  The flavors went so well together – the ginger, cumin, coriander, chili flakes.  The house smelled lovely while I was cooking, and the stomach was VERY happy once we finished eating.  It was a hit all around, so give it a try and let me know what you think.  I used ground turkey instead of chicken – they can be used interchangeably, just make sure to season well since turkey is so bland.

Chicken Kofta Curry
1 lb lean ground chicken (I used turkey)
2 T minced onions (I used 2 small onions – the more the better)
2 T minced cilantro
1 T bread crumbs (I used 3 T)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
½ tsp garam masala
2 T EVOO
1 large onion finely chopped (I left them as big chunks)
1 tsp each minced ginger & garlic
1 c 2% yogurt (I used 0% - about 1 ½ c)
2 tsp flour
2 tomatoes chopped
1 tsp coriander
½ tsp cumin

In a large bowl mix together the first 6 ingredients, using only half of the salt & chili powder.  Shape into 24 ½” balls (I did this after, when the sauce was already simmering.)  In a deep saucepan heat oil over medium.  Saute the chopped onion, ginger, and garlic until they start to brown (6-8 mins.)  Meanwhile, whisk yogurt with flour until smooth and creamy.  Add the yogurt mixture, tomatoes, coriander, cumin and remaining chili powder & salt to the saucepan, stirring to blend well.  Bring to a boil.  Add meatballs; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 mins.  Adjust seasonings to taste and serve (I served this over rice, with the broccoli recipe below.)

Lemony Braised Broccoli
1 T EVOO
1 yellow onion cut in 1” wedges (I used red onion)
2 garlic cloves smashed & peeled (I also chopped)
1 tsp coriander
¼ tsp chili flakes (I used much more, probably 1-2 tsp)
1 bunch broccoli cut in florets, stalks peeled & thinly sliced
4 wide strips lemon zest & more for serving (I used lemon juice, had no fresh lemons)
Salt & pepper

In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high.  Add onion & sauté 6 mins.  Add garlic, coriander, and chili flakes & cook 30 secs.  Add broccoli, zest, and 2c of water.  Bring to a boil then reduce heat & cover.  Cook 8 mins.  Season with salt & pepper and serve with lemon wedges.

Another satisfyingly delicious meal.  Enjoy

Comments