Salmon In Parchment With Polenta - Yum!

I've been trying to eat more salmon lately.  Truth be told, I hate salmon.  It's too fishy for me, I don't like the texture or the flavor.  It's such a healthy fish though, so I find if I season it properly (and heavily) I'm ok with it.  I mask the taste as much as possible, and this is a great recipe to use for that.  Even the kids loved it, and it was a hit with hubby; that makes it a keeper!

The clean-up is quick and easy here, since everything is cooked in parchment paper.  The other saving grace is that fish cooks so quickly, it's always a great weeknight choice.



Salmon & Spinach In Parchment
8c spinach (I only used about 1/2 a bag)
1 T grated orange zest
3 oranges peeled and cut into 1/4" thick rounds (I used 2 oranges, and just sectioned them)
4 salmon fillets (I used 3, was only feeding 3 people)
2" piece of ginger cut in thin strips
1 shallot thinly sliced
salt & pepper
2 T EVOO

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Divide the spinach among 4 (or 3) 16" long pieces of parchment.  Top with orange zest and slices, salmon, ginger and shallots.  Season with salt & pepper and drizzle with EVOO.  Bring the long ends of the paper together and fold down 3 times to make a seam.  Tuck ends underneath to secure.  Place packets on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until packets are puffed and salmon is cooked through, about 15-18 minutes.  Transfer packets to plates, pull open and serve immediately.

This recipe came from Everyday Food
Thanks Martha!

Per serving, the nutritional value is below:
Calories - 406
Fat - 18g
Protein - 37g
Carbs - 26g
Fiber - 5g

As a side dish to this I served Buddy's Cheesy Polenta - this was so great, and it made a ton of leftovers, so I froze a large portion in a container in the freezer for another dinner.  Delicious.


Buddy's Cheesy Polenta
4c chicken stock
4c milk
2c cornmeal
1c grated Parmesan
8oz herbed goat cheese
4 T butter
salt & pepper

In a large saucepan brink chicken stock and milk to a simmer.  Gradually whisk in cornmeal.  Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring often, until mixture thickens, about 15-20 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Add parmesan, goat cheese, and butter.  Stir until cheeses and butter have melted.  Season with salt & pepper to taste (make sure you taste it first!  The stock and parmesan already make it very salty!).  Serve as a side dish.

This dish reminds me of a cross between mashed potatoes and cream of wheat.  It's creamy and delicious and goes well with most meals.

Happy cooking!

Comments