Garlic Cheddar Chicken & Savory Braised Green Beans

I always have a hard time coming up with different recipes for chicken.  I find chicken very boring, but it's low in fat (the white meat) and good for you, so when it goes on sale I feel the need to buy.  In bulk.  Large quantities.  Than I am stuck trying to figure out what to do with it.

So when I find a winning recipe like the one below, I am absolutely delighted.  This was a hit with the family, and of course, very easy (as are most of my recipes, with the exception of the 'special occasion' meals).  Hope you enjoy this as much as my family and I did!


Garlic Cheddar Chicken
1/2c butter (I used about 2 Tbsp - 1/2c is way too much)
4 garlic minced
3/4c bread crumbs (I eyeballed the panko - my new favorite thing.  I will never use breadcrumbs again!)
1 1/2c shredded cheddar (I used about 3/4c)
1/2c Parmesan
1/4tsp parsley (I omitted completely, none on hand)
1/4 tsp oregano (omitted again...oops)
salt & pepper
8 chicken breasts pounded thin (I didn't pound anything...I want my breasts plump and juicy!)
(for my seasoning on the chicken I used Emeril's Essence - the recipe is on my stuffed veal chops post)

Preheat oven to 350.  Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat and cook the garlic 5 minutes.  In a
shallow bowl mix crumbs (try panko, trust me), cheeses and seasonings (in my case, Essence).  Dip each breast in the garlic butter to coat (I just threw them all in the pan and tossed them around a bit), then press into the bread crumb mixture.  Arrange in a 9x13 baking dish and drizzle with any remaining butter and bread crumb mixture.  Bake 30 minutes.

So here are my tips - if you aren't pounding the chicken, cook at least 40 minutes.  Also, spread the bottom of your baking dish with panko so that the bottom of your chicken doesn't get soggy.  Enjoy, because this is a really great crunchy chicken.  Yum.

I served the above dish with braised green beans.  Double yum.


Savory Braised Green Beans
1 T margarine (I used butter)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic, finely chopped
1 lb green beans
1/2c chicken or veggie stock (I used chicken)
1 tsp lemon juice

In a skillet melt margarine (or butter) over medium-high heat and cook the onion, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes.  Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.  Stir in green beans and cook 1 minute.  Add the broth and lemon juice and bring to a boil over high heat.  Than lower the heat and simmer about 6 minutes, or until the beans are tender crisp.  Add salt and pepper before serving, and enjoy!

Although my family and I rarely eat the same main entree twice, we tend to have veggie side dishes that we refer back to time and again.  This is one of those side dishes.  Find a few great ways to prepare veggies and it will allow you time to experiment with the main course.

What's on the menu for tomorrow?


Comments