Friday, April 27, 2012

Italian Stuffed Shells

We usually buy our meats through the WagJag Grocery Deals.  It's great quality meat straight from local butcher shops, and the prices can't be beat.  Recently I bought a box of ground turkey, and I've been on a mission to find recipes for it.  Ground turkey can usually be used in place of ground beef or chicken, but it definitely needs more seasoning and less cooking time.  It's a fairly bland meat, and it dries out quickly.

This was a great, although tedious, recipe to make.  My daughter helped me stuff the shells, which took the longest amount of time, so at least we had fun with it.


Stuffed Shells
1 package jumbo pasta shells
8oz mushrooms diced (I left these out since neither of my kids like mushrooms)
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 onion chopped
1 lb ground turkey
salt & pepper
1 package frozen chopped spinach thawed & drained (I used fresh since I had some to use up)
2 T chopped parsley (I used the parsley in a tube, I always have these on hand since they are super fresh)
2c cottage cheese (I used fat free)
1c parmesan cheese
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 8oz package shredded mozzarella

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Cook pasta in salted boiling water for 8-10 minutes (al-dente).  Set aside in warm water.  in a large skillet saute mushrooms, garlic and onions.  Add turkey and cook until evenly browned.  Season with salt & pepper.  Remove from heat and stir in spinach, parsley, cottage cheese and parmesan.  Stuff cooked shells with the mixture and place in a 9x13 baking dish.  Cover with tomato sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella.  Cover with foil and bake 30-45 minutes (I did 40 minutes).

I served this with a simple Caesar salad.  It was a great meal!!

Until next time!