Creamy Bean Salad With Soft Boiled Egg

I love salad night!  Every Wednesday in our home is salad night, and along with Meatless Mondays, this is my attempt to get more veggies and healthy goodness into my loved one's bellies.  Salads are so versatile, and can easily be turned into a meal.

When I saw this recipe in Chatelaine. I knew I had to try it immediately.  I love goat cheese, I love green beans, and I love soft boiled eggs, so it was a perfect fit.  I'm sure you will agree!

Try picking a 'healthy alternative night' in your home.  When you set a rule and get into the habit of following through, it becomes second nature.  My boyfriend wasn't too impressed about meatless Mondays or salad Wednesdays when I first brought it up to him at the beginning of the year, but the infamous meat & potatoes man has actually grown to like tofu.  And my daughter actually gets excited over tofu.  Like, seriously.

It's all about your cooking methods, and seasoning.  Tofu can taste like chicken; I know you've heard that before, but it's true!  And they sell such versatile veggie options now - you can get ground tofu that tastes like ground beef, or veggie bologna for lunch sandwiches.  Vegetarians are a growing breed, so the choices out there are incredibly vast.


Creamy Bean Salad With Soft Boiled Egg (this recipe serves 2, but I doubled everything to serve 4)

2 eggs (I used 4)
250g green beans (I used about 4 cups)
1 T lemon juice (I used 2)
1 1/2 tsp lemon zest (I didn't use any, had no lemons)
1/8 tsp salt (really? 1/8 tsp?  I just shook some on...like really?)
1 garlic clove, chopped (you guessed it, I used 2)
2 T oil
1 roasted red pepper diced (I used about 1 and a 1/2 - it's all I had left)
1/2 log goat cheese crumbled (I used about 3/4 of a log - didn't want to overdo this part)
4c mixed baby greens (I used spinach, about 6c)

Bring large pot of water to a boil.  Add eggs and boil 4-5 minutes (I followed this and did 5 minutes, but my eggs were a little too soft.  Next time I will do 6 minutes to be safe).  Remove eggs and plunge in cold a bowl of cold water.  Add salt to the same boiling water (that you had the eggs in) and add the beans.  Cook 4-6 minutes (I always pick the middle number, so I cooked mine for exactly 5 minutes and they were perfect).  Drain and rinse immediately with cold water.  Pat dry (I didn't).  Whisk lemon juice with zest (if using), garlic and salt in a large bowl.  Whisk in oil (I actually forgot this step and ended up leaving the oil out - it was still perfect!).  Stir in red pepper and goat cheese.  Add beans and toss to evenly coat.  Divide greens among 2 plates (or 4, depending on how many you made the recipe for).  Top with green bean mixture.  Peel eggs, and place one over each portion.  Slice open with a knife.  Season with pepper and serve!

Nutritional info per serving:
342 calories
16g protein
16g carbs
26g fat
5g fiber

Oh so delicious!!  The creaminess of the goat cheese with the tart sweetness of the lemon juice and roasted red peppers...the egg yolk cascading in a lovely yellow waterfall over your entire bowl.  The hot and cold of it all...the crunch of the green beans.  I don't think I have been this excited about a salad in a long time.  It was absolutely divine.

Try it out - your whole family will love it!!



Comments