Greek Lemon & Egg Soup (My Version of Avgolemeno)

If you've been following me for a while you know how much I love my soups.  I also love this website.  So when Mellissa posted this soup recipe I knew I had to try it out. 

I made a few tweaks though, because I'm staying true to my pantry challenge and wanted to use what I had on hand. I know I've mentioned this before, but one way I save (and use everything I can) is by making my own soup stocks.  I save all vegetable scraps in a Ziploc bag in the freezer, as well as bones and meat scraps in a separate bag (one for veggie broth one for meat broth).  When the bag gets full, I make some stock.  For this recipe, I emptied my veggie scraps into a large soup pot and boiled them for about 2 hours, adding water as needed to keep the pot full.  When done, I strained off the veggies and threw them in the garbage. I was left with a flavorful stock chock full of vitamins.  For free!

I also had a large pork shoulder bone with meat on it from our pork deal a few weeks back, so I wanted to use that as the meat instead of the shredded chicken that the original recipe calls for. I also added feta cheese for a nice tang. You can check out the link above for the original, or try mine out below - either way, this soup is delicious!


Greek Soup
Veggie or Chicken Stock (I'd say I had about 20 cups, in a huge soup pot)
Pork shoulder bone with some meat on it
1 spaghetti squash
3 eggs
1/3 c lemon juice
1/4 c crumbled feta
parsley for garnish (optional)


Preheat oven to 350.  Cut your squash in half and remove the seeds.  Roast, flesh facing down, for an hour.  Remove from the oven and let cool.  Meanwhile, boil your bone in the stock on high for at least an hour.  I did this for about an hour and a half.  Remove from heat.  Remove the bone, and tear the meat off.  Chop into pieces (or tear with your hands) and add it back to the soup.  Whisk the 3 eggs in a bowl with the lemon juice until frothy.  Slowly add about a cup of hot soup, while whisking, to temper the eggs (be careful here, you don't want scrambled eggs).  Once combined, add mixture to the pot.  Scrape out the spaghetti squash and add to pot.  Add crumbled feta.  Stir to combine.  That's it, all done.  Enjoy!

Comments