Cabbage Roll Casserole - New and Improved

I love cabbage rolls, but hate the tediousness of making them.  It's not the ideal weeknight meal.  I also am off carbs, so the rice in the rolls doesn't interest me.  Enter the cabbage roll casserole.  Now I know I posted a similar recipe a while back (it can be found here) and although that one was tasty, I found it a little dry.  So here is my new and improved version of the original (in my opinion).

This fits in perfectly with my pantry challenge which is awesome.  Cabbage is super cheap, I had ground beef in the freezer, and I always have pasta sauce and diced tomatoes in the pantry.  With only a few ingredients, we ended up with a huge casserole that we will likely be eating for days.  Score!


Cabbage Casserole
2 lbs ground beef
3 small onions chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
garlic powder
seasoning salt
chili flakes
1 can pasta sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 head of cabbage roughly chopped
1 cup shredded cheese (I used a combo of old cheddar and jalapeno Monterey jack but you can use anything)

Heat your oven to 350.  Brown the ground beef over medium heat, then add onions, garlic, and seasoning.  Add sauce & tomatoes, and fill each can with about a 1/4 c of water and dump that in with the meat as well.  Let cook at a simmer for about 20 minutes.  While that is cooking, get your chopped up cabbage in a pot with a bit of water, cover and let steam over high for 20 minutes.  When both are done, assemble your casserole.  Using a 9x13 baking dish, layer half of the cabbage, then half of the meat, the remaining cabbage and the remaining meat.  Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.  Remove from the oven, top with the cheese, and bake uncovered for 20 minutes.  That's it, that's all, dinner is ready!

For the carb eaters of the family, I served this with rice.  For myself, I ate it as is.  Delicious!

Comments