Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff

The slow cooker is one of my favorite time-saving tools.  I usually prep everything the night before, store it in the fridge, and than plug it in before I leave for work.  When we all get home, voila!  Dinner is ready!

This is, once again, a Kraft recipe that I changed up a bit.  My parents used to make stroganoff all the time when I was growing up, but it had vinegar, tomato paste, and sour cream in it.  I incorporated these into the below recipe since it just didn't seem the same without them.  I hope you enjoy!







Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
1 lb cubed stewing beef
1 onion chopped
1 c fresh mushrooms
½ c beef broth
½ c herb & garlic cream cheese (I used sour cream mixed with the flour, about 1/2c - see instructions below)
1 T flour
225g fettuccine, uncooked (I used penne - but really your supposed to use egg noodles)
I also added about 1/2 cup of tomato paste, and a few splashes of vinegar, maybe a 1/4c

Place meat, onions, and mushrooms in slow cooker (and paste & vinegar, if using).  Add broth, stir.  Cover with lid and cook on low 6-8 hours, or high 304 hours.  Meanwhile cook pasta as directed, omitting salt (do this 20 minutes before you are ready to serve the meat).  Drain pasta.  Mix cream cheese spread and flour (or sour cream and flour - or even fat free greek yogurt, I've used that before too).  Add to meat mixture; stir until cream cheese is completely melted and mixture is well blended.  Place pasta in large bowl, add meat, and toss to coat.

Comments