Cheesy Mashed White Beans With Kale, Parmesan and Fried Egg

I can't even begin to describe to you how delicious this meal was.  I really can't wait to make it again.

I was in the mood for a vegetarian meal, and had picked up some kale at the grocery store.  I'm not too familiar with kale and how to use it, so I went searching through my recipes and found this one from Serious Eats.  I love beans and eggs, so why not put them together with some kale?  What the heck - I gave it a go.

The richness of the beans, the creaminess of the egg yolk, and the firm crunch of the kale are SO amazing together.  I used white cheddar instead of parmesan, but I can't imagine going wrong with any cheese.

So delicious.  The whole family loved this one, I hope you do as well!







Cheesy Mashed White Beans With Kale, Parmesan, Fried Egg

3 T EVOO
2 garlic finely minced
2 cans white beans drained & rinsed
½ c heavy cream
3 oz grated sharp white cheddar
2 oz parmesan, plus more for serving
Salt & pepper
3 c finely shredded kale
2 tsp juice from 1 lemon
4 eggs
¼ c finely sliced scallions

Heat 1 T EVOO in saucepan over medium heat until shimmering.  Add garlic and cook 1 minute.  Add next 2 ingredients plus ½ c water.  Bring to simmer, then mash beans lightly with potato masher.  Add more water until a loose, porridge-like consistency is reached.  Stir in cheddar and parmesan and season to taste with salt & pepper.  Keep warm.  Heat 2 T EVOO in skillet over high until shimmering.  Add kale, season with salt & pepper.  Cook, tossing frequently, until wilted and starting to crisp, 4 minutes.  Stir in lemon juice and transfer to a bowl.  Heat remaining T of EVOO in skillet over medium-high until shimmering.  Add eggs, season with salt & pepper, and cook until whites are set but yolk is runny, 3 minutes.  To serve, stir half of the scallions in beans and adjust consistency with water if necessary.  Transfer to warm bowls, top with kale, and then eggs.  Sprinkle with remaining scallions and parmesan cheese.  Serve immediately.

Comments