Lamb Curry With Peas

I was in the mood for lamb, but very short on time.  I came across this meal in my recipe box (although I can't figure out where I originally got it) and decided to make a loose version of it.  I gave you the original recipe below, and than I explained what I actually did.

I served this with a quick homemade tzatziki, which I wasn't sure would go well with the curry, but it's so mild that it really was delicious.  Lamb, no matter how it's seasoned, is often paired with tzatztiki.  I mixed 0% Greek yogurt (President's Choice is my favorite) with 1/4 of a cucumber chopped, 2 garlic cloves chopped, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 Tbsp dill, salt & pepper.  So good.









Lamb Curry With Peas
1 tsp oil
1 lb ground lamb (I used chops)
2 onions finely chopped
2 garlic minced
1 T fresh grated ginger (I used powder)
1 tsp each coriander and cumin (I left the coriander out)
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp cayenne
(I added curry powder and tripled the spices above)
1 can diced tomatoes (I left this out)
1 c frozen peas (left this out)
3 T chopped fresh mint (left this out)

In large skillet over medium-high, heat oil.  Cook lamb, stirring to break up, until no longer pink – 3 minutes.  Add everything up to the canned tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally 6-8 minutes.  Add tomatoes, cook, stirring often, 10 minutes.  Stir in peas and heat through.  Remove from heat.  Stir in 2T of the mint.  Transfer to serving dish, sprinkle with remaining mint.  Serve with warmed naan bread, Greek pita, or rice, with yogurt on the side.

Here’s what I actually did – I threw the chops in a large Ziploc, added all the seasonings (up to canned tomatoes) and let them marinate in the fridge for a couple days.  When I was ready to cook them, I dumped the bag into a baking dish, added a little water to the bag and shook it up, poured the water in with the chops (only about 3 or 4 Tbsp) and baked them at 350 for 20 minutes.  I left everything else out, and I served them over jasmine rice.  It was super fast, and delicious.

Just a note - when you are marinating any protein in the fridge, make sure you bring it up to room temperature before cooking.  I always take the food out and let it sit on the counter for about an hour before cooking it.

Comments