Steak (or Veal) With Creamy Shallots (or Onions) and Nectarine & Tomato Salad - Yum!

Let me start off by saying I am reading a new book - "Cooking For Mr. Latte" By Amanda Hesser.  Hesser is the food writer for the New York Times...and my new idol.  She's unbelievable.  The way that she writes about food, or anything for that matter, makes my mouth water.  Literally.  I am so inspired by this book that I am making a solemn promise to myself to cook every recipe in it, one by one, until I have tried everything.  Kind of a Julie and Julia situation.  I am SO excited, so stay tuned for some sophisticated, loving meals that you can try yourself.  Can't wait!!!

On to tonight's meal...

I love veal.  There is something romantic about cooking it - it's a 'grow-up' meal when cooked properly, and just tastes lovely.  The meal below is a great one for two.  You are supposed to do this with steaks, and can even do a hoagie sandwich with it, but I opted for tender veal in it's place.  I have included the original recipe, and as always, added my tweaks.

Oh, and one last thing - I have started (finally) taking my own pictures.  They aren't great yet - I don't have a fancy camera that does my meals justice - I would rather spend money on great food then on technology.  But bare with me and I will eventually invest in something that will provide you with magazine-worthy snapshots of the fabulous food I dine on.






Steak With Creamy Shallots
2 steaks (I used 2 veal chops)
salt & pepper
1 T EVOO
4 large shallots thinly sliced (I used 2 large Spanish onions)
1/3c heavy cream (I used fat free evaporated milk)
1 T dijon
If you are doing a sandwich -
4 sandwich rolls split and toasted
2 c baby arugula

Pat steaks (or chops) dry with paper towel and season with salt & pepper.  In a large skillet heat oil over high.  Cook steaks (or chops) medium-rare - 4 minutes per side.  Transfer to a cutting board and tent loosely with foil.  Reduce heat to medium and add shallots (or onions).  Cook until softened, about 8 minutes.  Add the cream (or evap milk) and 2 Tbsp of water and cook until slightly thickened, 1 minute.  Stir in the mustard and season with salt & pepper.  Thinly slice if making sandwiches (only if you are using steak) and put on bread with shallots and arugula.  Or you can serve with mashed potatoes.  I served this with the salad below thanks to my new low-carb diet (that is working by the way...along with Jillian Michaels videos...she is kicking my ass)

Nectarine & Tomato Salad
4 nectarines (I used 3 - they were big)
2 each yellow & red tomatoes (I used only red, it was all I had)
1/3c crumbled feta (I used light feta)
8 fresh basil leaves, trimmed
salt & pepper
Dressing:
1/4 c EVOO
2 tsp lemon zest (from one lemon)
2 T lemon juice (from the same lemon)

Cut nectarines in half and remove pits.  Cut each half into 6 wedges.  Core and halve the tomatoes.  Cut each half into 4 wedges.  Arrange nectarines & tomatoes on a platter.  Mix the dressing ingredients together and drizzle over the salad.  Sprinkle with feta & basil, salt & pepper.  Enjoy.  I mixed everything together in a bowl - it was fabulous, and even better the next day.

I never would have paired nectarines with tomatoes, but the combination was divine.  Salty & sweet, savory and tangy, just wonderful.

This is a nice quick meal that incorporates high quality ingredients and convenience - it can be on the table in less than 30 minutes.  Don't compromise your love of food, ever.  There is always a way to prepare meals quickly and to enjoy them thoroughly.

Until next time!

Comments