Meatless Monday! Broccoli Frittata with Black Eyed Peas & Feta Salad

Ok ladies and gents, I'm pleased to announce that you can finally subscribe to my blog via email.  Check it out on the right side panel.  Never miss another recipe again, yay!

So as you all know, we do meatless Mondays in my home.  This week I went away from the standard tofu dish and decided to work with protein-rich eggs, and lots of veggies with a broccoli frittata.  As a side dish, I packed in more protein with beans and feta cheese.  Overall it was a very satisfying meal.  I won't lie and say that we didn't miss our steaks, but one night a week won't kill us.


Broccoli Frittata
3c chopped broccoli
2 T EVOO
1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes (I used much more than that, we like our spicy foods)
3 garlic, minced
3 green onions, sliced
8 eggs
1c parmesan cheese (on hand I had a bout half a cup of parmesan and 1/2 a cup of pecorino romano, so I mixed them)
2 tsp lemon juice (it's best to use a fresh lemon rather then the bottled type)
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest

In a 10" skillet bring the broccoli to a boil with 1/2 cup of water.  Cover and reduce heat to medium.  Cook 2-3 minutes.  Uncover and cook until no liquid remains, about 4 minutes.  Add 1T EVOO, the pepper flakes, garlic and green onion.  Cook until lightly browned, 1-2 minutes.  In a large bowl beat together the eggs, cheese, lemon juice and zest.  Stir in the broccoli mixture.  Wipe out the skillet (I didn't, why bother??) and heat the remaining oil over medium heat.  Pour in the egg/broccoli mixture, spreading evenly, and cook over med-low heat until starting to set but still wet in the middle, 5-6 minutes (mine took about 10 minutes but I used a smaller skillet so it was thicker).  Place skillet in a 400 degree oven and bake until the top is set, 7-10 minutes.  Let stand 2 minutes, slide onto platter, and cut into wedges.

I served this with a very simple bean salad.  Take 2T lemon juice, 2 T EVOO, 1 minced garlic clove, and 2 tsp lemon zest, and put them in a container.  Add a can of rinsed black eyed peas, and 3 T of crumbled feta (I used about 6T - you can never have too much cheese).  Shake it up if your container has a lid, or stir if not.  That's it - super simple and bursting with flavor.

Enjoy a vegetarian meal every once in a while (preferably a minimum of once a week) and you are well on your way to a healthier lifestyle.

Hope you enjoyed!

Comments