Saltfish & Butter Beans With Boiled Dumpling

This was my attempt at a Jamaican meal - mainly to please my dear hubby, but also because I had gotten an amazing deal on salt fish (salted cod) so I was looking for a way to use it.

Surprisingly, this came out very well.  Everyone was quite impressed (and I was quite shocked) especially considering this was my first time cooking a meal like this.  The salt fish wasn't too salty, the seasoning was perfect, even the dumplings came out the right consistency.

My stomach is grumbling just typing this out - I wish there had been more leftovers!





Saltfish & Butter Beans
1/4 lb saltfish
3 medium plum tomatoes
1 medium onion
1 scotch bonnet pepper
2 scallions
1 small sweet pepper
3 T Vegetable Oil
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 sprig thyme
1 can lima beans

Boil saltfish in 4 cups water for 30 minutes or soak overnight, flake in small pieces and remove all bones.  Chop tomatoes, onion, scotch bonnet pepper, sweet pepper,  and scallion.  Heat oil in a frying pan, saute seasonings and vegetables for about 1 minute then add the flaked saltfish, baked beans and black pepper.  Stir well and cook for 1 minute more.



Comments