Charred Eggplant With Chile Sauce & Tahini - A Taste of Israel

Have you heard of Saveur?

I'm a bit of a self-proclaimed food magazine junkie.  I subscribe to Bon Apetit, The Food Network Magazine, Martha Stewart Living (this one was a subscription to a food magazine that stopped printing...so they started sending me Martha Stewart instead.  Not my first choice), Fresh Juice, Chatelaine, Canadian Living, and Saveur.

Each magazine has it's own amazing food styles.  The recipes range from amateur and tasty (Chatelaine, Canadian Living) to tedious and over the top (Bon Apetit & Saveur).  What I love about Saveur though, is that every month I am taken on a trip around the world, tasting authentic cuisine from various continents, as if I am there, being served in the middle of China, or Switzerland, or in this case, Israel.

This recipe caught my eye since we all know I am always on the lookout for great vegetarian meals.  I had this for dinner last night (while the hubby ate a burger) and it was satisfying & delicious.  I'll be having the leftovers tonight.  I did my version a little differently, and have included my revisions in brackets.

Enjoy!


Charred Eggplant With Chile Sauce & Tahini
2 small eggplants
2 c cilantro chopped
1 c mint leaves chopped (unfortunately, I forgot to pick these up at the grocery store so I left them out.  They would have made an amazing addition though)
1 c EVOO
1/4 c honey
6 garlic cloves
1 serrano chile stemmed & seeded (I used a scotch bonnet, only a very small piece)
juice & zest of 1 lemon
salt & pepper
1/2 c tahini
6 soft boiled eggs, halved (I did sunny side up instead - 2 eggs for each eggplant, so 4 in total)

Heat broiler to high.  Place eggplants on a foil-lined baking sheet.  Broil, turning as needed, until charred, 10 minutes (mine took about 20).  Puree the next 8 ingredients until smooth.  To serve, slice eggplant in half lengthwise, leaving the stem attached.  Season with salt & pepper.  Spoon the sauce & tahini over top and arrange the eggs around the eggplant (I served my sunny side eggs right on top...yum!)

This was so good, can't wait until tonight's leftovers!


Comments