Hot & Spicy Tofu

When I tell you that tofu tastes like chicken, if prepared correctly, I'm sure the skeptics baulk at me.  Well, let me tell you again...tofu tastes like chicken!  It's a healthy vegetarian option for even the die-hard meat lovers.  Give it a chance with this recipe - you will love it!  The thing about tofu that you have to remember is that it literally tastes like nothing.  It's up to you to season it to your liking.  Skip this step, and you definitely won't be eating it again.  But season it like you would chicken, and it will become a regular staple in your home.


Hot & Spicy Tofu
3 T oil
1lb firm tofu, cubed
1 red onion, sliced
1 red pepper sliced
1 green chili pepper, chopped
3 garlic crushed (I chopped them)
1/3c hot water (I did 2c)
3 T vinegar (I did 12 T)
3 T soy sauce (I did 12T)
1 T brown sugar (I did 6 T)
1 tsp cornstarch (I did 2tsp)
1 tsp red pepper flakes (I did 2tsp)

Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.  Tofu preparation is very important, so although this wasn't part of the actual recipe, here's what you have to do before cooking tofu - chop it up into bite size pieces, lay them on a few pieces of paper towel and cover them with paper towel.  Press down, and leave to dry out for a few minutes.  It's good to put something heavy on top to draw out the moisture.  This will help to give a chewy chicken consistency rather than a soft soy-like consistency (no good).  Toss tofu in the oil and cook until browned on all sides (this takes about 5-8 minutes).  Toss in onion, pepper, chili pepper and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes.  In a small bowl whisk together the hot water, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch and flakes (as mentioned above, I pretty much did the sauce x 6 because I hate when I make something without enough sauce, and this recipe definitely didn't have enough).  Pour over tofu and vegetables, and toss to coat.  Simmer 3-5 minutes.  Serve over rice.

A great vegetarian meal, and you really do feel like you're eating meat.  Try it!

Comments