Slow Cooker Southern Style Pork Roast

I have a confession to make.

I goofed.

Yes, I made a mistake.  One of my New Years Resolutions was to have meatless Monday's and salad Wednesdays.  Well this Wednesday we didn't have a salad entree.  We did have a side salad with our entree...does that count?  I think so.

On Wednesday I made a delicious "southern style pork roast".  It came out WAY better then I thought it would, and the family loved it.  I served it as pulled pork over rice, along with the side salad.  YUM!

This was a slow cooker recipe.  I can't say enough about slow cookers.  They are fantastic.  You throw things into it in the morning, and when you come home from work you are greeted at the door by the smell of a promising dinner.  If you close your eyes very tight, you can pretend your loving husband is standing at the door with a steaming plate in hand.  Very little clean-up, and very little effort.  I have an old, and probably very tired slow cooker.  It's overworked and shows wear and tear, but my god I love that thing.  I can hear it cry to me every time I pull it from it's hiding spot under the sink.  "Again?" it says, "Please not again!".  I will always be a strong supporter of great slow cooker recipes.  And there are many out there.  Just fabulous.

Check out the the simple, delicious recipe below.  As always, my tweaks are in brackets.

Southern Style Pork Roast
2 onions thinly sliced
2 garlic minced
1 can diced tomatoes (I used the seasoned spicy diced tomatoes, they're great)
1/3c cooking molasses
1/4c cider vinegar
3 T brown sugar
2 tsp chili powder
salt & pepper
3lb pork shoulder
3T flour (I used about 1 1/2 T)

In a slow cooker, combine the first 8 ingredients.  Top with pork (I rolled the pork around in the sauce a bit at this point.  I couldn't understand why I would just sit the pork on top, I wanted it to be soaked in the sauce).  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (mine cooked for about 10 hours.  That's one thing about a slow cooker, you can't really 'overcook' anything).  Remove pork to platter and tent with foil (I'm cheap...why waste foil?  I just sat it on a plate and set it aside for a second).  Whisk flour with 1/4c of water until smooth; whisk into slow cooker.  Cook covered on high until slightly thickened, 30 minutes (I began shredding the meat with two forks to make pulled pork here.  I then set it aside and waited out the 30 minutes before adding it back to the slow cooker for a few more minutes to heat it back up).  Serve pork with sauce.

While the pork was cooking, I had the trusty rice cooker going.  We ate this over rice, with a simple spinach salad & blue cheese dressing, with a little crumbled blue cheese on top (had to use up what I was left from the buffalo shrimp salad last week).  A wonderful, comforting meal.

For those interested in the nutritional value, if following the recipe exactly (without the rice) see below:

Serves 8, Per Serving:
316 calories
22g protein
14g fat
26g carbs
2g fiber

Next is Creamy Chicken & Spinach Pasta.  It's a super healthy recipe, looking forward to it.

Until then!

Comments